Wine Tasting Notes: Opaque cherry red. Rich fruit aromas (cherry, black plum jam) with spicy (green peppercorn) and smoky notes. Intense, warm, with firm tannins nicely structured by oak aging and a backbone of subtle fruit acidity.
Ingredients: Seafood Paella 8-10 serving
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound large shrimp (21/25 count), peeled and deveined, tail on
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 roasted red peppers, cut into small dice
- 1 yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups paella rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock, warm
- 12 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 12 mussels, cleaned
- 3 lobster tails, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the saffron and lemon juice in a small bowl and crush the threads with the back of a spoon until the mixture turns bright yellow. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon of the smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the roasted peppers, onion, parsley and bay leaf. Saute until the onion is translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and the remaining 1 teaspoon smoked paprika; saute until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the rice and toast until slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, scrapping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring, until the wine is fully absorbed. Pour in the tomatoes, stock, saffron mixture, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; stir until combined. Bring to a simmer, then nestle the clams into the rice. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the mussels, shrimp and lobster. Cover and transfer to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the clams and mussels are opened.
- Place the pot back on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the peas. Cook until the bottom of the rice forms a crust, about 5 minutes. Serve the paella with lemon wedges.